Sperm count is an important factor in male fertility, and there are several lifestyle factors that can negatively impact sperm production. Here are six things you may be doing that are lowering your sperm count:
1. Smoking: Smoking cigarettes can have a negative impact on sperm production and quality. Smoking has been shown to reduce sperm count and motility, as well as increase the number of abnormal sperm.
2. Drinking Alcohol: Drinking alcohol in excess can also have a negative impact on sperm production. Alcohol consumption has been linked to reduced sperm count and motility, as well as increased DNA damage in sperm.
3. Poor Diet: A poor diet can also affect sperm production. Diets high in processed foods, sugar, and unhealthy fats can lead to inflammation in the body, which can interfere with sperm production. On the other hand, diets high in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains have been associated with higher sperm counts.
4. Lack of Exercise: A sedentary lifestyle can also negatively impact sperm production. Regular exercise has been shown to improve sperm count and quality, likely due to its ability to reduce inflammation and improve overall health.
5. Tight Clothing: Wearing tight clothing, particularly around the genital area, can raise the temperature of the testicles and interfere with sperm production. Opting for loose-fitting clothing may help improve sperm production.
6. Stress: Chronic stress can also have a negative impact on sperm production. Stress has been linked to reduced sperm count and motility, as well as increased DNA damage in sperm.